Filter by

Sort by date


Posted by: on April 26, 2019

The Journey of a Player – Team Player – MVP – Leader – Mentor

It’s almost the end of my MBA journey, which is hard to fathom. This past year has been an eye-opening experience for me. While business school took 75% of my time, much of the remaining 25% was spent on the squash court as I competed for the Oxford Blues Squash Team. The 2017-2018 season had […]

Read more

Posted by: on April 23, 2019

When you go to Ithaka

As we exchanged influences one chilly Friday afternoon in the Lighthouse, a wise friend on the MBA programme showed me the poem that you will find in this post. It was, and remains, a tremendous gift. A metaphor for life, ‘Ithaka’ (by C.P. Cavafy) also beautifully captures the essence of this wild, winding, wonderful year. […]

Read more

Posted by: on April 19, 2019


I was recently speaking with a friend of mine who is still serving in the military (by coincidence an Oxford alum, although as an undergraduate rather than SBS). He mentioned some work he was doing on “securitisation” policies. A year ago I would have instinctively known that he was talking about the development of security-focused […]

Read more

Posted by: on April 17, 2019

Rethinking Leadership in the 21st Century

At the Oxford MBA, we have been exploring what it means to run a company from the perspective of a future CEO focused on sustainability with a mission to effect good globally. Having the opportunity to hone our strategy and leadership skills with world class faculty at Oxford has been a tremendous experience this past spring, learning […]

Read more

Posted by: on April 15, 2019

The hardest thing of the MBA so far: Learning to unlearn to understand the Impac...

“What type of MBA is the one in Oxford? Do you guys specialise in Finance, Business Management or Social Impact?” The truth is that fortunately there is no specialisation in the Oxford MBA, all of us come from such different backgrounds that the whole class and the resources available in Oxford make it a rich […]

Read more

Posted by: on April 12, 2019

Taking the Plunge into Myanmar

Roaming the halls during the Oxford Freshers Week in late September, I was floored by the number of societies and student organisations present in the Examination School building. There were what seemed like endless rooms filled with even more societies. And then I haphazardly walked by a booth with the name “Oxford Development Consultancy” written […]

Read more

Posted by: on March 22, 2019

Get to know Pranav Sharma

Q1. In one word, how would your best friend describe you, and how would you manager describe you?   Best friend: Reliable Manager: Grinder Q2. Tell us about where you have come from and what has led you to Oxford.  Born and raised in India, I took the initiative to move to Canada at the age […]

Read more

Posted by: on March 20, 2019

The Transition Across the Pond

As I prepared to move to the UK for the MBA, many remarked “it won’t be that different” and “they speak English too”. I too understated the adjustment and culture shock I would experience, probably because I worked in Spain for two months after my first year of university and studied in Chile for a […]

Read more

Posted by: on March 12, 2019

Plastics, are they really that bad?

Eileen Chen is a 2018-19 MBA student at Oxford’s Saïd Business School and a Canadian marketer with four years of experience in the consumer packaged goods industry. Her marketing experience included managing an e-commerce website and developing data-driven recommendations through consumer insights for Keurig Canada. Her current career aspirations are to use marketing’s power to […]

Read more

Posted by: on March 1, 2019

A Fintech-Cambrian Explosion

The Cambrian explosion was an event that occurred approximately 541 million years ago and resulted in the divergence of most modern metazoan phyla – basically caused the separation for species that led to modern day humans. Before the Cambrian explosion, most organisms were simple, composed of individual cells occasionally organized into colonies. Over the following […]

Read more